by Ted Kerasote
Dear Friends and Readers,
Pukka and I just returned from our spring trip on the Green River through Labyrinth Canyon in Utah. It was quiet and restorative, with lovely campsites in hidden side canyons. We hiked among wildflowers, woke to the song of Canyon Wrens, and rowed for six hours a day, Pukka of course swimming often. (See the photos below).
Many of you have written, saying that you will be visiting Jackson Hole this summer and would like recommendations for things to do. Below are some suggestions, many of them dog friendly (indicated by a DF). At the end of the list is vet care, if needed, while you’re in the valley.
Have fun and alll our best, Ted and Pukka http://www.kerasote.com
Hike up the Snow King Ski Area above the town of Jackson (DF).
Hike to Goodwin Lake and climb Jackson Peak (DF).
Mountain bike the Put-Put trail in Cache Creek (DF).
Hike to the top of the Jackson Hole Ski Area via Rock Springs Canyon and ride the tram down, which is free if you hike up. Of course, you can pay and ride up the 4,100 vertical feet for one of the best views in the world.
Take the kinks out with a great massage with Anne Marie Letko (http://www.letkomassage.com).
Float the scenic and/or whitewater sections of the Snake River with Barker Ewing (http://barkerewing.com/reservations/float-trips/).
Drive the Grand Teton National Park inner and outer loops and look for grizzly bears (DF if you keep your dog on a leash while it’s outside the car).
Stay at a dude ranch (http://www.turpinmeadowranch.com/accommodations) DF.
Finish your day with a meal at Dornan’s Pizza Pasta Company at the entrance to Grand Teton National Park with one of the most stunning views of the Tetons in the valley (http://dornans.com/dining/).
Restaurants and cafés with dog-friendly decks:
- The Bird (http://thebirdinjackson.com).
- Picnic (http://picnicjh.com)
- Pearl Street Bagels, the Wilson Branch has swimming for dogs in the creek (http://www.pearlstreetbagels.com/#pg-home).
- Dr. Theo Schuff (both Merle and Pukka’s vet), Fish Creek Veterinary Clinic (http://www.fishcreekvet.com).
- Spring Creek Animal Hospital,, a fully equipped ER facility for dogs and cats, (http://springcreekanimalhospital.com).
- Dr. Ernie Patterson, Animal Care Clinic (http://www.acc-jh.com/about-us.html).
- Jackson Animal Hospital, general care as well as leading orthopaedic facility (http://www.jacksonanimalhospital.com/index.html).
Recommendations for Things to do in Jackson Hole by Ted Kerasote